Friday, November 12, 2010

Is technology always good?


I have learned a lot about technology this semester, and I have been wondering whether or not technology is always good? I know too much of anything isn't always a good thing, but technology is one of those things that could go either way. So I did a little research and these are some things I found.

Dr. Bruce Perry is an internationally recognized authority on brain development and has done much research on technology with early childhood. He says that developing children require the right combination of modern technologies at the right time during development in order to develop optimally.

A lot of modern technology is powerful because it is visually appealing. Many children spend countless hours in front of the tv each day, but just because it is technology doesn't mean it's good. TV is very passive and doesn't provide children with the amount of emotional, social, cognitive, or physical experiences they need when they are young. Children need social interaction and tv can pose a problem with that social interaction.

Video games. These can be both good and bad things. When I was younger, I used to play video games like Super Mario, Mario Kart and other games of that nature. I would play for hours with my siblings and I think I turned out okay. Children that play video games with other children gain more social interaction than children who play alone. But, gaming systems have changed and now they have things like the Wii and Kinect that not only promote activity, but they promote physical activity. That is a good thing. Playing video games for hours on end by themselves is not a good thing though.

Using any sort of technology should be done in moderation and should also be monitored by an adult depending on the child's age.

No comments:

Post a Comment